The latter has more to do with why Miller told Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak he would not be attending the team’s voluntary offseason workout program, which begins Monday.
MORE: Worst contract of every NFL team | Broncos possibly on the road to repeat in 2016
According to Denver television station KUSA, Kubiak and Miller spoke earlier this week.
The Broncos want to work out a long-term deal with the Super Bowl 50 MVP, but Miller’s agent rejected the team’s latest offer of roughly $18 million per season, according to KUSA’s Mike Klis. Miller is reportedly seeking a contract more in line with what the Miami Dolphins paid Ndamukong Suh, who received a six-year, $114 million contract with $60 million guaranteed last year.
Miller had 11 sacks during the regular season last year and his two strip-sacks of Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton led to a pair of touchdowns in Denver’s 24-10 Super Bowl victory. He has 60 sacks over his five-year career, including 18 1/2 in 2012, when he also forced six fumbles.
Miller is reportedly using the five-year, $52 million contract the New York Giants gave to former Dolphins defensive end Olivier Vernon, who has 29 sacks in four seasons, as a bargaining chip.
Should Miller sign the franchise tag tender, he’d be accepting a one-year deal worth $14.129 million. Without his signature, Miller is not under contract as the two sides continue to talk about reaching a multiyear contract.
“That’s the plan,” Broncos general manager John Elway told KUSA on Thursday. “The plan is have to Von there, no question.”